Every year, millions of luxury handbags are sold in the world. This sector has kept out of any market crisis or fluctuation due to the existence of traditional customers, addicted to this type of products, and the Millennials, a new generation of consumers whose habits, priorities and expectations are reshaping the industry and the way products are retailed.
Consequently, before purchasing a luxury handbag, the following opposites should be taken into account:
- Traditional brand vs. new luxury brand: Traditional luxury brands are constantly subject to counterfeiting and falsification, which, in a way, is distorting the sense of luxury involved in exclusiveness or the feeling of distinction knowing you are wearing something few people can have access to. The products new luxury-‐niche brands offer, though, stand apart from this harmful practice both to brands and users, so they are getting more presence and relevance in the market.
- Handmade process vs. industrial process. Big brands hold different production centres, the majority of them located in Asia, seeking lower-‐cost manufacturing processes with high levels of mechanization and, too often, without Europe’s quality of accomplishment. In contrast, emerging luxury brands usually have few or no mechanized process as they give preference to long tradition master craftsmen in countries like Spain, France or Italy.
- Just luxury vs. art-‐luxury: We all associate luxury to quality and tradition and, to that, new luxury brands add innovation and creativity together with art. Our decision, then, should be based on whether we want something traditional and recurrent or something different, avant-‐garde and refined.
- Store purchase vs. Internet purchase: The Internet is an exceptional channel that opens doors to knowledge and information. It is a powerful tool that allows us to know the new fashion trends of some of the world’s most influential people as well as an easy access to multi-‐branding platforms and department stores offering a wide range of traditional and new brands. Therefore, we just have to decide if we want to buy in purse boutiques or in online purse boutiques.
- Limited editions vs. handbags exclusives: There are already luxury brands in the market that only make limited edition purses: customised units of an exclusively designed product that only few women can obtain, which is the essence of luxury. On the contrary, there are traditional brands with wide editions of hundreds of thousands of exclusive articles.
Once these key factors have been analysed, we will have better criteria to select the luxury handbag which best suits the customer’s wishes.